7 Terrific Travel Tips to Tour Queensland

As I was born in tropical North Queensland on the Atherton Tablelands, and have worked in and traveled to most parts of Queensland, I feel that I can offer some great travel tips and relevant information for you.

The nominal mains electrical voltage is 230 Volts in Australia. As plug sockets require the Australian Standard plug pin arrangement, travel adaptors can be purchased within Australia, usually at airports. Many times while working in resorts, motels, backpackers, hotels, and lodges, I saw disappointed tourists when not being able to use their various electrical appliances that they had carried with them. Do not forget about charging your mobile phone and buy a physical jack adapter once you’re in the country.

In Queensland the metric system is used so all distances are in kilometres (klm’s), and speed is in kilometres per hour. The conversion for our 60 klms per hour which is the average speed in a built up area, is roughly 37 miles per hour. Be aware that in some built up areas, the speed limit may be only 50 klms per hour, and school zones are usually 40 klms per hour, before and after school times. There is a heavy fine and penalties for exceeding the speed limit. The best way is to always check the speed limit signs and your speedometer.

Normal speed limits which generally apply are –
40 kilometres per hour ((klm/hr) in all areas where the present limit is 50/60/70 klms per hour
60 kilometres per hour (klm/hr) in all areas where the present limit is 80 klms per hour
60 or 80 kilometres per hour in areas with the present speed limit is 90 to 100 klms per hour
80 kilometres per hour where the present speed limit is 110 klms per hour

Queensland does not operate daylight saving and local time is always 10 hours in front of GMT. Other states of Australia do operate daylight saving times from the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April, so be aware of this if you fly into Queensland from other Australian states.

Driving in Queensland, Australia and hiring a vehicle – Most hire companies will ask to see a valid un-restricted driving license and if this is in English this will usually be accepted. However if you have a licence which is not in English, you should first obtain a valid International Driving Permit before you leave your home country. Australia requires a “1949 Convention IDP”. And don’t forget, drive on the left side of the road. And always ask the hire company if you are allowed to drive the hire vehicle on a dirt road or you may have your insurance cancelled.

The weather cycle in Queensland is the same throughout Australia with our summer months being December, January and February. Autumn months are March, April and May and winter months are June, July and August. Spring months are September, October and November and are very pleasant.

000 is the National emergency number in Australia and this is used for all emergency services including Fire Service, Ambulance Service and the Police. It would be advisable to enter this number into your mobile phone.

Australia has a modern telecommunications and mobile telephone network which includes 3G services to most parts of Qld. Check with your mobile company to see if “International Roaming” is available and this service can be activated for you whilst in Australia. Phone companies operating in Qld include Telstra, Vodafone, and Optus.

Queensland is home to about 4 million people and is the second largest state in Australia. Areas of Queensland in the interior are vast and sparsely populated, while coastal areas have a denser population. Tourists love the average summer temperatures of 25 degrees celsius (77F) and the average winter temperatures of 15 degrees celsius(59F). Brisbane is the capital of Queensland with about 2 million people in residence.

Queensland starts from Coolangatta on the Gold Coast and finishes at the northern point of Cape York. The most popular holiday spots range from the Gold Coast to Cairns in North Qld, which is a driving distance of about 1760klms. However, you can fly into the Brisbane airport in South East Qld, Maroochydore airport on the Sunshine Coast, Hamilton Island airport in the Whitsundays, Townsville airport for North Qld, or Cairns international airport for a tropical vacation. There are about 40 airports throughout Queensland, large bus companies and fast trains available, so getting to your destination is easy.

Many of the holiday resorts supply a free courtesy coach to pick you up from the airports or train and bus depots and deliver you stress free to their door for your relaxing or ‘full of adventure activities’ vacation. There are many online places to choose your accommodation from and in all areas of Queensland. Accommodation is divided into several classifications including hotels, apartments, resorts, motels and Boutique accommodation, resort caravan parks and Bed and Breakfasts. As a guide, apartments and cabins tend to have more extensive ‘in room cooking facilities’ for people looking for a self catering holiday.

If you want to explore a part of Outback Queensland, hop on a flight to Longreach from Brisbane using Qantas (2hrs 25mins), jump on a bus tour to Winton and visit Lark Quarry where 93million year-old fossils capture a dinosaur stampede. These dinosaur tracks are under shelter in a museum to preserve and protect them.

If you love your comfort, travel in a luxury air-conditioned tour coach or if wanting to be adventurous and drive yourself, hire an air-conditioned four wheel drive vehicle from Longreach. The 179 klm road from Longreach to Winton is sealed but from Winton to Lark Quarry it is a badly maintained dirt road. I learnt the hard way. My husband and I travelled to Lark Quarry in our old, 1985, non air-conditioned bus and the red dust consumed us. It smothered everything inside including us, which is why I recommend using a modern air-conditioned vehicle. Still, we enjoyed the end result and would not have missed the experience of the Outback.

Winton is known for its water supply which pushes its way to the earth’s crust from three artesian bores, all around 1,200 metres deep gushing at a temperature of 83 degrees Celsius.(195F) The water comes from the Great Artesian Basin which provides water for almost all areas of Australia’s Outback.

Hotel or motel accommodation is available in Longreach and Winton and most of these places will book your tours. Discover attractions like the Stockman’s Hall of Fame, Qantas Founders Outback Museum, the Waltzing Matilda Centre and the School of the Air.

You could not visit Queensland without checking out the beautiful Sunshine Coast situated about 104 klms by car from Brisbane. Or you can fly from Brisbane directly into Maroochydore airport where you will have a large choice of accommodation. Again, most resorts offer a courtesy coach pick up.

I hope these tips and information on holidaying in Queensland help you with your visit to this wonderful state of Australia, ‘down under’.

Patricia Lilly holds a Diploma of Hospitality and has worked in the industry for over 30 years. Online Accommodation and Tours-Australia is the business that she developed five years ago using her extensive experience and knowledge of the travel industry. Patricia offers interesting information on her web site and ensures safe and secure accommodation bookings online.

Selecting the Right Travel Adaptor for You

A travel adaptor changes only the number and arrangement of the pins on the plug so it fits any socket at the traveler’s place of destination. However, it doesn’t convert electricity to fit an appliance with a power input of 120 volts to a socket that outputs 220 volts. Travelers needed a power converter for this. Thus, choosing the right travel adapter for your needs during a trip abroad involves two considerations: the country of destination and the type of appliances to bring along.

Travel Adapters for North and South America

In North America and in many countries in South America, the standard socket requires two flat prongs placed parallel to each other. The type of travel plug to bring along to the United States, Canada, Guatemala, and Venezuela must have the same flat-pronged structure. Another type of plus used in these countries have the same parallel prongs, but has a grounding pin at the bottom. Most sockets in these countries produce 100 to 120 volts of electricity. And so, you can only plug hair dryers, chargers, and flat irons with the corresponding voltage as these sockets.

Travel Adapters for Great Britain

Plugs in Great Britain generally have three prongs: one flat and two round pins. They form a triangle on the plug with the flat prong serving as grounding pin. They need a corresponding socket that outputs anywhere between 200 and 250 volts of power. Most appliances around the world are attached to power outlets with 220 to 240 volts. Moreover, many hotels and inns in England also offer dual-voltage power sockets for their international guests.

Travel Adaptor Units for Other Countries in Europe

Most countries in Europe need travel plugs with two round parallel pins. Some earthed types have a grounding pin at the bottom. In France and Belgium, the grounding pin is already built into the socket and the plug must have a female contact slot to accept the pin. In Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway, the travel plugs follow the Schuko style wherein two grounding clips frame the sides of the plug with two rounded pins. Meanwhile, countries like Switzerland, Denmark and Italy used variations of the three-pin travel plugs.

Travel Adaptor Plugs in Australia

For travelers coming into Australia and New Zealand, they should take note of the position of the prongs or pins on their plugs. The power sockets in these regions may produce 200 to 250 volts of power and need plugs with diagonal or V-shaped prongs. Although hotels and inns may already offer international power plugs and dual-voltage outlets, households still use the standard adapters for Australian appliances.